OIC Countries

OIC Countries

Monday, May 17, 2010

Life of a Hero


"When I came to America-boom!! First, I don't know English. And second, nobody knows me. When I walk on the street, nobody cares about me"-Jackie Chan

Unable to afford to feed him when he was a baby, Jackie's parents had considered selling him for US$26 (RM99) to the English obstetrician who delivered him. At the tender age of 7, Jackie was apprenticed at the Infamous Academy of Chinese Opera where for more than 10 years from 5 a.m. to midnight, 7 days a week Jackie endured a brutal programme of music, dance and traditional martial-art of training. The training that he received was so cruel, where students were beaten and starved for not performing up to par.
Later he appeared in some early Hong Kong films as a stuntman and worked his way up to stunt co-ordinator, then to director.

When Bruce Lee died, Jackie, along with many others, were picked to fill the vacuum. He failed miserably.

"Very hard, very hard," he said," so instead of being himself (Bruce Lee), I decided to be myself."

Today, Jackie is indisputably Hong Kong's biggest movie star and is currently making it big in the US with fees reaching up to US$50 million (RM190 million) a year!

No comments: